Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Adventures of Speech class Part I

In the winter my sister and I enrolled in the same class... Speech 1A (That's the second time that happens, first time we took Italian together by accident). Now if someone a year ago told me that I'd be taking SPCH 1A in the winter, I would have told him or her, " Yeah right! That's going to be one of the last classes I take here!" I think most people can speak in public but when they are forced to do it, that's when all the butterflies and nervous habits come in to play. But actually I really liked my speech class, I learned many things about myself. The professor I had didn't right away have the class giving speeches. He kind of eased us into it which I really liked. The way he taught us was really straight forward and to the point, sprinkling some experiences he had encountered. The very first day of class, as he said my name and then my sister's name, he asked if we were twins. I was kind of baffled at his question because usually people can see we are related but not twins! Just to make things easier and none of us would have to explain we said, " Yes! Twins." But eventually he learned that we were triplets because my sister told him. And he announced it to the class >.< Also on the very first day we had to get to know someone and present them to the class (Icebreaker). Come to find out, there was another person who was part of fraternal triplets. My sister and I just looked at each other, shocked. We've never had someone who was also a triplet in our class. Her name was Cynthia. Her along with everyone else in the class had become a little family. Every time it was speech day, no one was judging anyone because everyone knew we were all on the same boat... anxious, nervous, ready to do a good job and get it over with. The first time my sister went up to do her speech, it was quite an experience. Our first speech was impromptu, so if one thinks about it, it's not that big of a deal for some. My sister on the other hand, when she was up there, she let her nerves get the best of her. In the middle of her speech (speech is about 1 to 2 minutes long) she froze, she could not go on. I was trying to cheer her on in the audience but i think i just made it worst because she started to tear up! OH NOOO!!! 0.0 Some of the people I have gotten close to just looked at me like, "Poor thing" The silence lasted a good chunk of time when all on the sudden she started again! I was in my seat, saying " YES! YES!" She finished her speech and sat down. There was an awkward feeling in the air. Some more classmates went and did a good job. Then it was my turn, I could see why my sister was so nervous, it all happens so quickly! Usually when I give presentations, I make people laugh. I'm not sure what I'm doing but they just do. So when I went up there I started talking about my dog ( that was my topic) and I realized when I'm nervous I talk too much. So I went into details about my dog's habit and what she looked like and that she had recently passed away. And people were laughing. I was a little embarrassed because I'm not sure if they were laughing at me or with me because I was sort of laughing too and at the end of my speech my professor pointed out that I really like being in front an audience which I do not! But everyone agreed with him so it might be true... I'm not sure though. I felt bad though because my sister went before me and she froze. And she told me when we got out of class that that's how she wanted to be. I felt horrible! There's a part two and three to this story! So stay tuned! ;)

P.S: I was trying to fix this post, and I think I did it?

No comments:

Post a Comment