Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Last Wednesday, I was learning about Schizophrenia in my abnormal psychology class. Then I started thinking about all the times I complain about headaches (what a sissy), people who live with schizophrenia have a very difficult time just getting through the day! When I use to hear the word Schizophrenia, I didn't have a clue really what it was, but it seemed really bad. I mean just the sound of it sounds bad! I'm taking about it today because it's not known how one gets schizophrenia but psychologist have come to find out that it is genetic, it's passed down from generation to generation. My psych professor told the class about the Genain Quadruplets. These quadruplets were born in the 1930s and they were identical girls. In this point in time, they became famous because quadruplets were rarely seen. Now when these girls grew up they all had developed schizophrenia. There are four different types of schizophrenia and each person is different on how deeply it affects them. There is paranoid schizophrenia putting it in general terms one believes they are always being followed, catatonic schizophrenia in severe cases, the person is like a statue, they do not respond or move to anything. Sometimes this can go on for months where the person is in that state. The third type is disorganized schizophrenia. This one is probably the worst to have because the person mentally is being deteriorate and they are the most not likely to recover from their illness. The fourth one is called indifferent. This one is when a person has symptoms of the previous three types all together (maybe this is the worst to have...). All the sisters had schizophrenia but they each had different types of the illness and in how severe it was for each. This finding showed psychologist that though schizophrenia is passed down by genetics, it is more complex than genetics because the sisters had different types and different levels of severity. When I was learning this in class(my class is about 3 hours long) it was blowing my mind! I had to share it with the world! ( the world kind of already knows >.<) lol that's it from me today. Stay in tune for more to come ;)
P.S: Our birthday is Monday! xD how time flies huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment